Sunday, February 9, 2014

POMPEII


Set in 79 A.D., POMPEII tells the epic story of Milo (Kit Harington), a slave turned invincible gladiator who finds himself in a race against time to save his true love Cassia (Emily Browning), the beautiful daughter of a wealthy merchant who has been unwillingly betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator. As Mount Vesuvius erupts in a torrent of blazing lava, Milo must fight his way out of the arena in order to save his beloved as the once magnificent Pompeii crumbles around him. --- Sony Pictures

I was asked at the sneak preview by the promotion company what I thought of POMPEII. I gave a three point answer.

1)   Unoriginal

This movie is a mish mosh of successful movies from the past. Writers, yes there are 4 of them and that in its self should worry the film goer. Writers Janet Scott Batchl, Lee Batchle, Julian Fellowes, Michael Robert Johnson stole ideas from the CONAN THE BARBARIAN 1982, GLADIATOR 2000, THE HORSE WHISPERER 1998, and most of course the main theme of the motion picture was stolen from TITIANIC 1997.

I guess you could have fun spotting the blatant plagiarism and that is what my girl and I did during the showing. Whole scenes were lifted a times and that made it even more sad.

2)     Historically inaccurate.

I guess I am a little bit of a history geek and Pompeii has always been a fun subject. They had the layout of the city pretty much spot on. From there it was all made up. The gladiator history was a freaking mess.  Titus Flavius Caesar Vespasianus Augustus being vilified in the movie was imprecise.  The method the city was destroyed was wrong. The amount of people in the town during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius was inexact. What happened to the people that escaped on boats was erroneous.

3)     The 3D was amazing

This was the best 3D I have experienced in a regular movie theater. It really was beautiful. The great 3D almost made it worth the boredom.

POMPEII is 2 hours long and that means it was an easy ½ hour longer then it should be.



The Cast:

Kit Harington plays celtic gladiator Milo. He does alright.

Emily Browning plays Cassia. Browning is pretty but needs to eat a sandwich.

Adewale Akinnouye – Agbaje is Atticus. I liked his presentation and wanted to see more.

Kiefer Sutherland plays Senator Corvus. Sutherland gives us one of the worst performances of his career. Think, Ray Liotta’s acting in the IN THE NAME OF THE KING 2007 and you understand just how bad Sutherland was in the flick.

I am not a fan of this movie but I did have fun. My date and I had good time making fun of the film. I rate this movie 3 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment