Thursday, December 5, 2013

THE DEAD AND THE DAMNED



A meteor lands in the Wild West. It is discovered by prospectors and hauled into town. The meteor is broken open and it releases spoors that turn a frontier town’s population into blood thirsty mutant zombies.  The Dead and the Damned star David Lockhart as Mortimer the bounty hunter, Camille Montgomery as Rhiannon the bought woman, and Rick Mora as the Apache Indian Brother Wolf.

Rick --- I am a big fan of horror movies and I have always had a soft spot for the zombie genre. George Romero is a celluloid hero of mine and his movie DAWN OF THE DEAD was my introduction to the walking dead world.

I am also a big fan of spaghetti westerns. I am not sure way but the westerns from Europe specifically Italy, Spain, and surprising Germany are my favorites. Maybe it is the grittiness or unchecked violence but they just seem more real to me than their American counterparts.



THE DEAD AND THE DAMNED is a western and it is a zombie movie. Written and directed by Rene Perez and shot for a reportedly $30,000. I understood this was going to be a low budget affair so the production weaknesses could be overlooked.  The only negative I have on the movie production was the choice of music. The main soundtrack kept pulling me out of the film. The music just did not match the action portrayed by the motion picture. The acting at times was a bit forced but mainly by the secondary cast. I did wish that we could have seen the meteor fall to earth, the Perez would have said no to the CGI blood effects, and that the movie had an ending. I hate when films don’t have an ending.

That all said I liked THE DEAD AND THE DAMNED. This independent movie kept me watching. There was enough story, gun play, zombies, gore, and nudity to satisfy my peculiar tastes. This was entertainment that was shot for $30,000!  My favorite scene was when a blind zombie saloon girl chases Rhiannon around the tavern. This was nicely done.

The Zombies were a treat and this looks like where the majority of the movie budget went. Every zombie was different and every zombie was a gory mess. Ed Martinez and Jeff Wehenkel did a wonderful job.

THE DEAD AND DAMNED Zombies 
This one is a perfect movie for a late night watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment