Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Evil Dead (2013)


4 friends David, Eric, Olivia, and Natalie travel to an old cabin in the back woods to help another friend Mia kick her drug addiction by going cold turkey.  Once Mia is deep into withdrawals they find a black magic alter in the basement. They also discover the Necronomicon or Book of The Dead. The temptation to read the book is too strong for Eric and he inadvertently summons forth demons.

Jane Levy plays Mia the drug addict who becomes the first target for the summoned demons. She really got to showcase her acting chops by portraying a drug addict, a possessed person, and finally the survivor.

Rick --- I am a big fan of the original Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 movies. This new adaptation does the originals justice. The movie is different enough to keep you guessing; while being familiar enough to give you a strong sense of déjà vu.  I did miss the audio recording of the professor translating the book and the dark comedy from Bruce Campbell.

Tony- A big fan of the original(s) I am as well. I was not too disappointed with this version as it did pay homage to the cult classic of my youth with just enough to keep me watching till the end. I did not like some of the moments in this film where "common" sense just thrown out the window which made it some what of a "victim" flick for me, which I can not STAND! Watch it and you will see what I am talking about. I understand a good or even bad "b" rated horror, slasher movie but, can we have at least one director or screenwriter give some upstanding white kid from the suburbs have some god damn common sense and not send his girlfriend back into the run down shack, in the middle of the woods, with no where to run, with the homicidal, possesed, recovering drug addict sister, who is locked in the cellar with a legion of demons inside her cooch! Thank you.


Main Cast
Jane Levy: Mia
Shiloh Fernandez: David
Lou Taylor Pucci: Eric
Jessica Lucas: Olivia
Elizabeth Blackmore: Natalie

Director:  Fede Alvarez
Writers: Fede Alvarez, Rodo Saygues, and Sam Raimi 

No comments:

Post a Comment